Dairy-Free Macaroni and Cheese
What if I told you I made a VEGAN cheese sauce that can be used to make the ultimate gluten and dairy-free macaroni and cheese. Well, I kind of just did that today. This was very much inspired by my sister, who recently made a very, very thick butternut squash soup. She forgot the broth, so she just used coconut milk. It ended up fairly thick and saucey—and this was the birth of a genius idea. I can't remember the last time I had macaroni and cheese, as it's full of things that I don't eat like gluten and dairy. Well I'm here to tell ya, MAC N' CHEESE is back on the table. And this time you don't have to feel guilty about it. The cheese sauce is über healthy—and is made with five, whole-food ingredients. YES. That is right. It also takes, like, two seconds to whip up. I am beyond excited to be sharing this recipe with you. It's the perfect thing to nom on now that the weather is getting cooler and the evenings darker.
This recipe is VERY CUSTOMIZABLE. Vegan? Leave out the ham. Paleo/Whole30/Grain-free? Serve over zoodles or spaghetti squash. The sauce is totally AIP friendly too. Your welcome, friends.
- VEGAN CHEESE SAUCE
- <span></span>[url href="http://www.ebfarm.com/products/frozen/frozen-butternut-squash" target="_blank"]1 package of cubed defrosted butternut squash[/url] (1.75 cups/10 oz.)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (~1 cup)
- <span></span>4 ounces [url href="http://amzn.to/1VCETmI" target="_blank"]coconut milk[/url]
- 4 ounces water
- 1 teaspoon ghee or fat of choice
- <span></span>2 teaspoons [url href="http://amzn.to/1VCEgcV" target="_blank"]nutritional yeast[/url]
- <span></span>1 teaspoon sea salt ([url href="http://amzn.to/1L5oc9f" target="_blank"]I like using smoked sea salt![/url])
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>FOR MAC N' CHESE</span>
- <span></span>10 ounces, [url href="http://amzn.to/1VCEvo5" target="_blank"]gluten-free brown rice pasta[/url] (a little bit more than half of the package) OR ZUCCHINI NOODLES/SPAGHETTI SQUASH FOR AIP/PALEO!
- toppings: ham, peas, chives
- First, start by cooking the pasta shells. Follow directions on package. Once cooked, set aside.
- Gently heat 1 teaspoon of ghee over medium-low heat until it is warm and sizzling and then add the diced yellow onion. Sauté onions over medium-low heat until fragrant.
- Add defrosted butternut squash and sauté with onion for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 4 ounces coconut milk and 4 ounces water. Bring to a low simmer.
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>Add 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast + 1 teaspoon smoked sea salt.</span>
- <span></span>Remove from heat and use an[url href="http://amzn.to/1VCF1CA" target="_blank"]immersion blender[/url] to puree the mixture.
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>Once pureed, combine with pasta shells. Serve garnished with ham, peas and chives or as is, if desired.</span>