I have recently discovered something utterly FANTASTIC. Do you want to know what it is? Savoy cabbage. Purple cabbage. Regular old green cappage. Napa cabbage. Yup, all kinds of cabbage are my veggie jam lately. I always associated cabbage with low nutrienty density and something that grandparents would eat a lot of (hi mere!) I have been blown away by the diversity of uses for cabbage, from noodles to taco shells to an excellent stir-fry addition, I can't get enough. I also like how it is an extremely convenient veggie—one of those that lasts a while in your refrigerator and is super inexpensive. AND DID I SAY THEY MAKE THE BEST TACO SHELLS? One thing that has been missing from my life is awesome tacos. Jicama taco shells just don't cut it for me, or at least they haven't yet. Here's a bomb recipe for lettuce wrapped pulled por tacos with avocado crema. This recipe uses NomNom Paleo's Slow Cooker Kalua Pig to make the shredded pork for the filling of the tacos.
Lettuce Wrapped Pulled Pork Tacos
- 1 batch of [url href="http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig" target="_blank"]NomNom Paleo Kalua Pig[/url]
- 1 small avocado
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp sea salt + more to reach desired taste preference
- 1/2 clove elephant garlic or 2 cloves regular garlic (If you have access to elephant garlic for this, USE IT!)
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2-3 savoy cabbage leaves per person
- Cilantro for garnish
- Combine avocado, EVOO, lime juice, sea salt, garlic and water in a blender and combine. I used a magic bullet and it worked beautifully. Once fully combined, taste and make adjustments for your personal taste preference; you may prefer to add a little extra lime, garlic or sea salt.
- For the tacos, place shredded pork inside savoy cabbage leaves, as pictured above. Garnish with a generous helping of avocado crema, lime slices and cilantro.