When it comes to cooking for myself, easy does it is my mantra. I like to focus on sourcing high-quality foods and then I create dishes that are simple and honor the integrity of the ingredients. I like to use high-quality oils, herbs, salts, spices and citrus to add flavor and depth to meals (my favorite place to buy these are from Hatchery!!) This easy roast chicken is a weekly staple in my life. I often prep this on either Friday morning or Sunday afternoon and it carries me through many meals. I've been meaning to share this recipe on the blog for ages, but never quite captured it beautifully enough to share—but finally, the moody light of the fall delivered, and I was able to take images that I love. This easy roast chicken is awesome because it is a full on one dish meal and takes only ten minutes to prepare.
This is a recipe for a spatchcock chicken; this might freak a few of you out, as you have to cut the spine out of the chicken, but just watch this video and then give it an attempt. Also, you'll definitely need a pair of sturdy kitchen sheers to do this job, which is a staple in any Real Food kitchen. I promise, once you've had a spatchcock chicken, there is no turning back. It's the fastest way to cook a whole chicken and is the method that gives you the most delicious crispy chicken skin (mmmm!)
- 1 whole chicken (preferably organic + pasture-raised)
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 2 small sweet potatoes, quartered
- 2 parsnips, quartered
- <span></span>1 tablespoon [url href="http://amzn.to/1LSuaKq" target="_blank"]extra virgin olive oil[/url]
- <span></span>1 tablespoon [url href="http://amzn.to/1LSuf0B" target="_blank"]ghee[/url] or grass-fed butter (olive oil for AIP)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced, divided into 1 tablespoon each
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>2 teaspoons [url href="https://hatchery.co/product/rosemary-salt/" target="_blank"]Hepp's Rosemary Salt via Hatchery[/url], divided into 1 teaspoon each</span>
- <span></span>Pre-heat your oven to 390F.
- <span></span>Chop the vegetables into quartered pieces so that they are all similar sizes. Place them in a large [url href="http://amzn.to/1PCBZam" target="_blank"]casserole dish[/url] and toss with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon sea salt and 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced.
- <span></span>Next, spatchcock the chicken ([url href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppa1bxB89vg" target="_blank"]watch this video for help.[/url]) Place chicken breast side up, as pictured. Make sure the chicken skin is dry by lightly patting with a paper towel then coat with 1 tablespoon ghee, 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary and 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>Roast for forty minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and has reached an internal temperature of 165F. Cooking times will vary based on your oven.</span>